Premature birth is the birth of the child more than three weeks prematurely. In other words, premature birth occurs before the beginning of the 37th week of pregnancy. Normally, pregnancy lasts 40 weeks. Birth prematurely does not provide the baby enough time to develop. The earlier the date the child is born, the more serious pregnancy health problems can have it.
Depending on how early the baby is born, identifies four stages of prematurity:
– Grade 1 of prematurity (immature novorodenni) – weighing between 2500-2000, and the born between 34 and 36 weeks.
– Grade 2 (moderate prematurity) – between 2000-1500, and the born between 32 and 34 weeks.
– Grade 3 (high prematurity) – Between 1500-1000, the Births before 32 weeks.
– Grade 4 (extreme degree of prematurity) – in 1000 were born before 25 weeks.
The signs, which can be recognized that a baby is born earlier than normal may have:
– Small size with a disproportionately large head;
– A sharp curves due to lack of fat – the kind of exam;
– Soft, fine, downy hair that covers the baby (lanugo). It was observed in premature infants because lanugo begins to be disposed of through the womb during the last month of pregnancy. Usually it falls just before or soon after the birth of term infants;
– Low body temperature immediately after birth again because of low levels of fat;
– Severe difficulty breathing;
– Lack of reflexes of sucking and swallowing, and hence power problems;
Premature babies can quickly develop complications in physical condition as blood infections (sepsis) or respiratory distress.
Often the specific cause of preterm birth is not clear. Many factors, however, may increase the risk of premature birth, including:
– The presence of previous premature births;
– Pregnancy with twins, triplets or more;
– Interval of less than six months between pregnancies;
– Conceiving through in vitro fertilization;
– Problems with the uterus, cervix or placenta;
– Cigarette smoking or drug use;
– Poor nutrition;
– Insufficient weight of the mother during pregnancy;
– Some infections, especially of the amniotic fluid and the genital tract;
– Certain chronic diseases such as high blood pressure and diabetes;
– If the mother and was underweight or overweight before pregnancy;
– Stressful life events such as death of a loved one or family violence;
– Multiple miscarriages;
– Physical injury or trauma.
For unknown reasons black women are more prone to premature birth than women of other races. But premature birth can happen to anyone. In fact, many women who have premature births have no known risk factors.
What are some strategies for preventing premature birth?
Rest (bed): Although used especially common in multiple pregnancies, the rest is not dostachno effective in preventing premature birth. In fact, the constant bed rest can increase the risk of preterm birth in some women.
Progesterone: progesterone drug used to prevent miscarriage and premature birth more than 40 years.
Cerclage: The suture is a seam on the cervix, which retains the uterus closed. New research invitations that do not stop suture birth if it has already started, but it can increase the duration of pregnancy in some women.
Antibiotics: Antibiotics may be given to women occurred premature rupture of the water bag (bag of water that bursts immediately before the baby is born). The infection is a risk factor for preterm birth in women with such rupture, and they are at a greater risk of infection of the uterus. Giving antibiotics may prolong pregnancy in women whose water bag burst earlier.