If you need to respond briefly to the question, the answer would be because saturated fats rising level of harmful LDL cholesterol and can block the arteries of the heart. The presence of too many “bad” cholesterol in the blood increases the risk of serious coronary heart disease – the most common cause of death in all countries of Europe and North America. According to estimates by experts, if you reduce the use of saturated fats only 20%, it will seriously affect the number of deaths due to heart attack and stroke.
Everyone needs food to attend fats. “Good” include:
• omega-3 unsaturated fatty acids, which are contained mainly in fish – herring, mackerel, sardine, tuna, salmon, and
• Omega-6, which the richest are olives, nuts, seeds and their production of oils, lots of vegetables and cereals.
These fats maintain the strength and elasticity of blood vessels and increase the level of “good” (HDL) cholesterol. “Bad” fats come mostly from foods of animal origin – especially red meat, butter and full-fat dairy products. Another type are called. trans, which are obtained in the manufacture of margarine, biscuits, cakes and the like. They increase the blood level of “bad” (LDL) cholesterol, whose accumulation in the blood vessel wall and narrows them weakens and thus increases the risk of heart attack and stroke.
According to estimates of nutritionists, no more than 11% of the energy produced by the body must come from saturated fat. Which means that the average amount considered by them a day from a man must be no more than 30 g, and a woman – to 20 years. Just as it should be and the number of children between 5 and 10 years at the smaller is difficult to put exact figures because their body normally needs more saturated fat for growth. However, children over 2, the experts recommend to give milk to less than 2% fat in order to enable energy produced from saturated fat does not exceed 13% of the total.
High-fat foods contain more than 20 grams of fat per 100 grams of product, while low-fat are those that have less than 3 grams of fat per 100 g. With high in saturated fat identify foods containing more than 5 grams of such fat per 100 grams of product. These low should contain less than 1.5 g per 100 g.
Large amounts of fat in the diet can lead to obesity, which brings relevant later health risks. But the most immediate danger of excessive consumption of saturated fat is the emergence of cardiovascular diseases, which ultimately pose a severe risk of heart attack and stroke. It is this type of disease for decades №1 cause of premature death in our part of the world.
For damage caused by overdoing fatty foods talk much and long. Have been taken and the measures on food to be displayed detailed content and type of fat. Yet statistics show that their use does not decrease, and the occurrence of overweight and obesity are increasing.
According to nutritionists, the reasons are several:
• People still do not make enough difference between fat and saturated fat. They think far more remains elevation comes to healthy eating, to reduce calories and weight.
• Food today really contain less saturated fat (at least most of them). Accordingly, people take a small amount, but it is still too large relative to the need.
• The data shows that for the last 20 years the average person began to move less, ie it needs less energy (and therefore fat). This reduction needs to be less than the amount of reduction taken in saturated fat (about 47 grams per day in 1980 versus 30 g / day in 2000).
The most effective policies are associated with very small changes at first glance, but have a significant effect:
• If you remove the skin of the chicken, this will reduce saturated fat by about 1/3. Even more will decrease if you choose meat without visible fat on it.
• Replace butter with oil in eating – whether produced from olives, sunflower, canola or corn.
• Choose lower-fat dairy products and avoid dairy sauces.
• Be selective foods for rich in omega-3 and omega-6 unsaturated fatty acids.
• Always read the labels of foods you buy.
• When you eat something sweet, prefer dark chocolate or dried fruit to cake and pie.
• When cooking meat, choose recipes that do not include frying and steaming steaming, boiling or failing baking in the oven.